Thursday, September 1, 2011

Night Riding

Riding under the cover of darkness
I remember my very first night ride. It was an epic fail. I bought an inferior light at a discount price and within the first few miles of the ride, it started to dim. Then it went out completely. You get what you pay for I guess.
Luckily I was with someone who had far more experience on this trail at night and offered to let me borrow their light so I could get back alive. I did and I made it back.  Alive.  And also, hooked on riding in the dark.  I promptly returned that crappy light and purchased a NiteRider lighting set up which was much more appropriate for that type of riding and most importantly, had the potential to last longer than my ride ever should. Assuming I remembered to charge it of course.  But, that's another post for another time. Today, I still enjoy night riding sometimes even more than day riding. To this day, I love the peacefulness of it, the sounds of wildlife when the sun has set, and the joy of being able to focus on only the trail and the line in front of you.  A tunnel vision that you just can’t get during day rides. I also love the fact that at night, you don’t have to worry about oncoming riders and can fly through the trail much faster without that worry once you get the hang of it. I still get a huge kick out of seeing a trail of lights meandering through the woods. It never lets me down.  Even if the sun does.

No comments:

Post a Comment