Thursday, September 1, 2011

Going to the Dark Side...and secretly liking it.

So there I find myself reading another bike magazine, and lo and behold, there again is another beautiful bike work of art that I hadn't yet tried, the Cross bike. So I quickly scoured EBAY and  found myself a beautiful orange Jake the Snake for a killer deal. Did I mention it was orange? My vision for this bike was that it was the perfect road bike for a mountain biker. You know, one that wants to do a little road riding, but can't bring herself to make that commitment. One that wants to ride on the road, but wants to have a strong enough bike with tough enough wheels that if she feels a car approaching too closely, she can hop onto the grass and ride there as if that was her intention all the while. You know... THAT kind of bike. Well I tried it out for a little while, but it wasn't getting the love that a bike should and spent a lot of time as the red headed step child bike in the garage...(get it because it didn't get ridden and because it was orange? Red headed step child).  Don't be embarrassed if you missed the joke. You'll get it later and laugh your head off. Anyway.........I sold it to a guy on Craig's List which was an experience in itself to say the least, but at least it finally got a good home. I hate to see any bike being neglected from not being used so I had to do it. I just HAD to. It was the right thing to do. It was the unselfish thing to do. And I don't regret it one bit. Okay, maybe a little.

It's a road bike, No it's an MTB, no wait it's both!
Who let the skinny tire bike in?

And then, last summer, I think I lost my mind a little because I broke down and bought a real road bike. I know! It's a cheap Fuji Roubaix from a local bike shop that was closing down.  I don’t spend much time on the road, so couldn’t justify spending a huge sum. The long and short of it is I love that bike too. It rides really nicely and it fits me perfectly.  And it allows me to keep up with the big boys and girls on their expensive carbon works of art (when they let me.)  Plus it has pink grip tape now, so it says I don't take myself too seriously and neither should you. I mean really, pink tape? What kind of statement is that?

And that’s all I really need in a road bike. For now road biking is something for me to do when the trails are closed or I want a little break from the dirt and thankfully, that isn't too often.
And, yes, I admit it. I have this skinny tired bike which sits right next to my fat tired steeds and I love them all the same. Sure maybe the mountain bikes are loved a little bit more, but that's because they have fatter tires and there is more to love right? However, my new mottoes are "don't knock it till you try it." and "variety is the spice of life". Oh and one more, "American Express, always leave home without it....if you go to a bike shop"

No comments:

Post a Comment