Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Nearly 8 Weeks in and Still no Trail riding for me.

No Laura's Allowed
Saw the Doctor about 2 weeks ago and he confirmed that while there was evidence of healing, it was not completely fused and I didn't have the go ahead to get back to trail riding.

So for these past weeks, since I have broken my foot, I have discovered a few alternative options for riding that I actually can do without any discomfort or too much risk of  breaking the weak bond that is forming on the bone.

I have discovered riding my local greenway trail. And riding my trainer. Believe it or not, it really isn't too bad. I am so thankful that I can do any pedaling at all, that I am actually enjoying these new forms of "biking". I won't lie though. When I ride the greenway past the trails I usually drop in to, I long to be in the woods. And, when I ride the trainer, I am thinking about how this effort is going to make me stronger for my next big mountain bike race, whenever that might be. But, hey it's riding a bike. And frankly, riding a bike in any form is better than not riding a bike. It's the cheesy bumper sticker slogan I keep in my head.

I think I am on the mend though. While I haven't put my clip in pedals on my mountain bike when I ride outside on the greenway, I have now switched them out on the bike trainer bike in the garage. And that's a good start.

I go back to the doc in couple of weeks or so and I am hoping that he is going to give me some good news. Because if he doesn't, I may have to stop paying him.
And then, I can get back in the woods to start training for the next 6 hour MTB race that I have  on my to do list. Or my "hope to do list", in my case. And walk my poor dog in the woods once again. He wants this boot off as much as I do.

Until then, I am just going to appreciate the circles I make up and down my paved path and the ones I make in my garage that don't actually take me any place. Because, while my body isn't actually going anywhere, often times my mind is....and for now, for me, that's what biking is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment